Rafael Nadal, Roddick win to set up semifinals match


INDIAN WELLS, Calif. (AP)—No. 7 Andy Roddick beat defending champion Novak Djokovic 6-3, 6-2 Friday and will face No. 1 Rafael Nadal in the semifinals of the BNP Paribas Open.

Nadal, trying for his second Indian Wells title in three years, rolled to a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Juan Martin del Potro.

No. 2 Roger Federer, who won the title three consecutive years beginning in 2004, faces No. 4 Andy Murray on Saturday in the other semifinal.

On the women’s side, defending champion Ana Ivanovic and Vera Zvonareva earned spots in Sunday’s final. Ivanovic defeated upset-minded Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 6-2, 6-3. Zvonareva beat Victoria Azarenka 6-3, 6-3.

Roddick’s game was solid all-around against No. 3 Djokovic. The error-prone Serbian made 30 unforced errors, 18 more than his American opponent.

“I don’t think he had his best day, by any means,” Roddick said. “I mixed up the paces pretty well. I hit my forehand when I had to. The chip was a pretty good neutralizing shot for me.

“I was hitting it pretty firm, and I didn’t really miss any returns. I think that’s a big thing for me.”